Cluj-Napoca (pronunciation in Romanian: /'kluξ na'poka/; Dacian and Vulgar Latin: Napoca; Medieval Latin: Castrum Clus / Claudiopolis; German: Klausenburg; Hungarian: Kolozsvár) is a city in northwestern Romania and the seat of Cluj County.
The name Cluj derives from Castrum Clus, first used in the 12th century to designate the city's medieval citadel. The word Clus means "closed" in Latin, and is related to the hills that surround the city. An alternative theory derives the name from German, either from the name Klaus, or from the archaic Klus (meaning mountain pass, or weir).
The city, one of the most important academic, cultural and industrial centers in the country, is located in the historic province of Transylvania and is approximately 330 km northwest of Bucharest. It is situated on the bank of the river "Somes" (the name "Somes" derives fron the ancient "Samus"),in the interfering zone between the "Apuseni Mountains" and the Somes Plateau. It ocupies a near equidistant position from the North, South, West and East of Transylvania. This urban center was born and developed himself on one of the most important communication axis linking the Occidental Europe with the East and South of the continent.
After the Roman Empire conquered Dacia in the beginning of the 2nd century, Trajan established a legion base known as Napoca. Hadrian raised Napoca to the status of a municipium, naming it Municipium Aelium Hadrianum Napoca. The locality was later raised to the status of a colonia, probably during the reign of Marcus Aurelius. Napoca became a provincial capital of Provincia Porolissensis and the seat of a procurator. However, during the Migrations Period Napoca was overrun and destroyed.
The region was eventually conquered by the Magyars and became part of the Kingdom of Hungary. King Stephen V of Hungary encouraged the Transylvanian Saxons to colonize near the Roman ruins of Napoca in 1272. Their settlement received the German name Klausenburg, from the old word Klause meaning "mountain pass."
In 1270 Cluj was given town privileges by Stephen V and began to grow quickly. The Saint Michael Church was built during the reign of King Sigismund. Cluj became a free city in 1405. By this time the number of Saxon and Hungarian inhabitants was equal, and King Matthias Corvinus (born in Cluj in 1440) ordered that the office of the chief judge should be alternating between Hungarians and Saxons.
In 1541 Cluj became part of the independent Principality of Transylvania after the Ottoman Turks occupied most of the Kingdom of Hungary. Although Alba Iulia was the political capital for the princes of Transylvania, Cluj was the main cultural and religious center for the principality. Prince Stefan Batory founded a Jesuit academy in Cluj in 1581. Between 1545 and 1570 large numbers of Saxons left the city due to the introduction of Unitarian doctrines. The remaining were assimilated to Hungarians, and the city became a center for Hungarian nobility and intellectuals. With the Treaty of Karlowitz in 1699, Cluj became part of the Habsburg Monarchy of Austria.
The first Hungarian-language newspaper was published in Cluj in 1791, and the first Hungarian theatrical company was established in 1792. In 1798 the city was heavily damaged by a fire.
From 1790-1848 and 1861-1867, Cluj was the capital of the Grand Principality of Transylvania within the Austrian Empire; the city was also the seat of the Transylvanian diets. Beginning in 1830, the city became the centre of the Hungarian national movement within the principality. During the Revolutions of 1848, Cluj was taken and garrisoned in December by Hungarians under the command of the Polish general Józef Bem.
After the Ausgleich (compromise) which created Austria-Hungary in 1867, Cluj and Transylvania were again integrated into the Kingdom of Hungary. During this time Cluj was the second most important city in the kingdom after Budapest, and was the seat of Kolozs County.
After World War I, Cluj became part of the Kingdom of Romania, along with the rest of Transylvania. In 1940 Cluj was returned to Hungary through the Second Vienna Award, but Hungarian forces in the city were defeated by the Soviet and Romanian armies in October 1944. Cluj was restored to Romania by the Treaty of Paris in 1947.
Hungarians remained the majority of the city's population until the 1960s, when for the first time in its long history, Romanians outnumbered Hungarians. According to the 1966 census, the city's population of 185,663 was composed of 56% Romanians and 41% Hungarians. Until 1974 the official Romanian name of the city was Cluj. It was renamed to Cluj-Napoca by the Communist government to recognize it as the site of the Roman colony Napoca. Some believe this was done to slight the Hungarian community by affirming that the ethnic Romanian community is descended from the Dacians colonized by the Romans.
The Conference location: Cluj-Napoca, Napoca Hotel, Octavian Goga str. no.1.
Napoca Hotel is situated on the bank of Somes river, right next to the central park and the stadium, in an imposant building. Its architecture suggests a traditional romanian country house from Apuseni Mountains. Its position gives you the possibility to be close to all the points of interest and turistic objectives in Cluj Napoca. With several conference rooms the hotel is host of important business reunion, conferences, seminaries. Facilities: restaurant, bar, terace, internet club, fitness centre, parking.