"ULTRASENSITIVE MONITORING OF POLLUTANTS BASED ON TANDEM SYSTEMS USING NON-CONVENTIONAL DETECTORS"
The general objective of this research project is to elaborate analytical methods which are simultaneously rapid, accurate and ultra-sensitive, by using specific, non-conventional detectors coupled with gas chromatography. The following pollutant classes were targeted: volatile organic compounds (VOCs), persistent organic pollutants (POPs), and gaseous inorganic pollutants.
Taking into account both the experience accumulated by the research collectives that compose the partnership, and the equipment already possessed, we propose to start a research activity that should solve the following problems related to this above-mentioned general objective:
- Studies concerning the physical and chemical processes that have a paramount importance on the functional parameters of the detectors.
- Research, realization and testing of the tandems gas chromatograph - specific non-conventional detectors.
- Effectuation of a series of measurements on different groups of toxic substances using the hyphenated (tandem) instruments, in order to demonstrate the quality of the interfaces.
- Elaboration of the methodology and implementation of the methods.
- Research, development and realization of an integrated informational system, in order to connect the detectors to the central mainframe computer of the whole monitoring system.
- Research, development and realization of the software interfaces that help the control of the measurement regime and data interpretation.
- Realization of several specific, non-conventional detectors: the electrolytic detector, the thermalconductivity detector, and the ion mobility detector.
- Realization of the coupling systems of these above-mentioned detectors with gas-chromatographic systems.
- Elaboration of software packages.
- Elaboration of the working methods using the tandems gas chromatograph - non/conventional detectors and procedures' establishment.